I find that too many people of my age and even younger already suffer from some kind of insomnia. We should be living the prime time of our lives! Still I know that money (or the lack of it), relationship troubles, school/ university work, parties etc. can mess with anyone's sleeping pattern. Students often stay up until 4 am and wake up the next day around 2 pm and then complain about different symptoms like headaches, digestion problems, weight gain etc. Surely it is normal for a young person to test one's limits from time to time but when you find it hard to just relax and close your eyes before midnight, you are in trouble.
Too many make the mistake and take alcohol, sleeping pills or just hanging out in front of the computer or TV as a cure. It will only make the matter worse. Here are some easy steps how to break the cycle:
1. Don't nap! - Force yourself out of out of bed at 8 am and do whatever it takes for you to stay awake until 10 pm. Then try sleeping.
2. Exercise! - If you think you won't be able to sleep at night, just do some heavy exercising 3-4 hours before going to bed. This will take the extra energy out and exercising works as stress control as well.
3. Eat something before going to sleep! - Even a light snack will keep your mind off food and will help you concentrate on sleeping.
4. Don't go on the computer or TV for at least for 1h before going to sleep! - Instead read a book in dim light. It will get your eyes tired and sleeping will be easy.
5. Don't count the hours until your alarm is going to ring! - This will only stress you out.
6. If you are worried about something, go through your worries and decide that you can't do anything at the moment and that you will work on it after you wake up!
7. Meditate! - Go on Spotify and search for "Guided meditation". You'll find excellent tracks to help you with your sleep.
Also keeping the bedroom temperature a little bit cooler than in the rest of the house is helpful. Make sure you don't spend too much time in your bed during the day. The bed is for sleeping! Take extra care when it comes to decorating your bedroom. You want it to be a positive and calm place to be.
These easy tricks will guarantee you excellent sleep and you'll fix your sleeping pattern in no-time. You'll soon start feeling more relaxed and full of energy.